Sunday, October 10, 2010

JOURNAL #6

After seeing all the groups present their advertisement, I think I now view commercials differently. Since class on Wednesday I feel like every time I see a new commercial I analyze it and think what that company is really trying to get across to the viewers. I think one of my favorite groups and commercials shown on class on Wednesday was the pepsi vs. coke commercial. I thought it was so neat how they found almost identical commercials but years apart. I thought the group really broke down the meaning and appeals of the commercials which I found so entertaining.


I chose the American Airlines commercial "late nate" because I thought it was funny, appealing, and had a good story behind it. Nate is late to everything, but he is in a situation at work where he needs to make his flight and cannot be late. I thought American Airlines did a great job by showing all the personal experiences in Nate's life and then at the end having it all come together. It was showing that Nate was early and chose to fly with the best. I think the main argument the company is trying to make is that flying with another airline other then American Airlines wont allow you to have the fast service that Nate got. I think they are trying to prove a point to their audience that American Airlines is the best choice and even though Nate tends to be late with everything he does, american airlines helped him be early and make his flight. Also, it helps make their company stand out and makes a clearer argument when they show the other crowded line at the airport. It also has a strong emotional appeal because since its a commercial it helps portray imagery and makes the argument stand out with personal experiences and strong evidence.

I really enjoyed this assignment and I think its important for us to sometimes think outside the box and try and see what commercials, ads, and the media are trying to show us.



No comments:

Post a Comment