Sunday, October 31, 2010

Journal #7

When reading Michael Lassell's poem "How to watch your brother die" seemed more of a poem about opening up about your sexuality more then the death aspect of the poem. I enjoy talking a lot about this topic because I think it is important for all people to open up about their sexuality. Why hide who you are?
I think that the narrator didn't really look into it all that much and was very unaware of his brother's sexuality. I also think that overall, the situation was uncomfortable weather they were around each other, the  brother's wife, or the kids. Clearly us readers were able to feel the tension between the two and the situation overall. He didn't really know how his wife would feel about him being around his brother who is homosexual. She also portrayed an attitude of the gay brother being around the young kids.
I think the hospital part was most important and really brought it all into perspective for the brother. He walked in and saw his brother laying in the hospital bed being comforted by his partner/lover. I think that at that point, life or death, fake or real, he was able to accept his brother for who he was put the difference aside as he laid there about to go.
The clip we watched in class that most stood out to me was the seven year old girl who was once a little boy. I thought that like the brother watching his brother go, he was able to put the sexuality in the past. And like that, this little girl was talking so maturely about being different and saying it is all ok.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with everything you said in your blog. I definitely agree that the poem was more about the narrator being able to accept his brother even though he was a homosexual. I also think that the hospital scene was one of the most important parts of the poem. This is when the narrator was able to start to come to terms with his brothers sexuality. The situation was definitely uncomfortable for everyone, but once the brothers lover was able to see past the differences, the narrator was able to let him in. I also think that there was a lot of tension in this situation, and we could all recognize it.
    I liked how you related the poem to the clip with the little girl. I never thought of them being related until you brought it up. It definitely makes a lot of sense. If we could all just see past peoples sexuality and were mature about it like the little girl, people wouldn't be afraid to be who they are.

    ReplyDelete